So, I know that I have not posted in a long while. This is due to starting a new university, making friends, trying to control my health and keeping old friends in my life. I know I am only young, but it seems like us young people have a lot of responsibilty in our lives. I cannot begin to understand how it is for actual adults with real life responsibilities.
Before I went off to university, I was told by many people how easy it is to gain weight, so, I made it a mission to lose weight rather than gaining it. I was doing a great job..Until Christmas came. After Christmas came exams, thus, I was stress eating. I knew what I was eating was bad, however, I had a slogan which said ‘If its during exam period, it does not count.’ Stupid, I know, but there was just so much temptation lol.
Anyways, After exams, which ended on the 24th, I have been eating clean and exercising mean ;), Today, I am going to share one of my detoxing smoothies with you.
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 tomato
- 3 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 an avocado
- 3 slices of frozen kiwi
- 2 teaspoons of baobab powder
- 2 teaspoons of chia seeds
- some cinnamon (depends on your taste)
- A small chunk of ginger
- a sprinkling of extra hot chili powder
- some water
Yes, okay, I know the photos are not very good, and they do not include all the ingredients I used.
You all know how to make smoothies, just add them all in a blender and blend until it reaches the consistency you like. The taste is not very strong, however, at the end of every sip, there is a kick from the chili powder and the ginger, but it is totally enjoyable.
If you have seen my blog previously, you would know that I write the benefits of each food at the end of the recipe
- Celery- this vegetable reduces bad cholesterol and it also helps the eyes as it produces at least 10% of the daily recommendation of vitamin A.
- Apple- eating apples whitens your teeth (vanity benefit), another benefit is that apples help the digestive system, the reduce the risk of diarrhea and constipation.
- Pear- this fruit is a pain relief in some to many case, it has an anti-inflamatory effect.
- Tomato- tomatoes are so incredibly high in antioxidants it amazing, they help the skin glow and they reduce spots. Tomatoes also reduce the risks of some cancers, for example: prostate cancer, breast cancer and stomach cancer
- Strawberries- these help to burn stored fat, and they also have ant-aging properties in them. They help to keep wrinkles at bay
- Avocado- these are very high in dietary fiber, so, it keeps you fuller for longer and it helps the digestive system.
- Kiwi- these are also very high in antioxidants, so obviously, they are great for the skin, another benefit of this is that it helps immunity in the body as they are naturally high in vitamin C
- Baobab powder- I could talk about the benefits of baobab all day. I love the stuff. It is high in antioxidants, high in fiber, it has 6x more vitamin C than an orange etc. I would really recommend buying it. It is a bit on the pricey side, however, I think that it is totally worth it. Use 2-3 teaspoons of it a day with anything you fancy, and watch your appearance improve. You can put it in smoothies, in yogurt, with just water, in juices, in your meals, in home made baking, etc.
- Chia seeds- This is another ingredient I ALWAYS use in my smoothies. They are high in natural fat, fiber and Omega 3. They can be used as a binding agent when baking, an alternative to eggs.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon helps to reduce the negative effects of high fat meals. This does not mean you should eat a lot of high fat meals then consume a lot of cinnamon, but whenever you have a treat meal, you could have some plain natural or greek yogurt, with some cinnamon and 2 tsps of baobab powder and then wash it down with some green tea.
- Ginger- this is one for us gym bunnies. Ginger is great for reducing muscle pain produced by exercise, so, after a grueling work out, having something which has a lot of ginger will help you feel less sore tomorrow. You are welcome.
- Chili powder- all forms of chilies are great for the heart. The more chillies you consume, the lower your personal risk of getting a heart attack is. Another benefit of chili is that it helps to burn fat and lose weight.
So, after listing some benefits of all the ingredients, why would you pass off the opportunity of improving your health with a simple and delicious smoothie. You could make it before you go to work, university or the gym and have it as a meal. It is very filling and you definitely will not miss pizza.
Cheers to us